Sunday, May 13, 2012

Around the world in 9 hours

As previously promised, I did my Manhattan Walk this weekend. I tried to setup live tweet or live Google+ right before I left, but it didn't work, so here is once again the day after report.

Map of Manhattan Walk from Garmin recordings
First of all, this wasn't well planned. At all. I made the decision on Friday. I woke up at 4AM Saturday, spend some time looking at maps while having breakfast and charging my electronics and filling my mp3 player with NPR Podcasts. I headed out at 8AM.

It was warm going hot here Saturday morning. Perfect tanning conditions. I started on the East side around 60th Street, running at a slow tempo northward following Manhattan Waterfront Greenway. Unfortunately, this riverside bike/run path does not cover the whole island. The largest missing portion is right around Harlem, north of the Park. So, I had to head into the city in this section around 9AM.

Good Morning Queensboro Bridge!
I switched to a walk on the streets, admiring the neighborhood at a slower speed. That unfortunately didn't stop me from getting lost. I almost passed a bridge going to Bronx, backtracked, walked some more, almost passed another bridge, backtracked, asked for directions. It was almost 10AM by the time I got back to the next section of greenway by the Harlem River. This section of the path is pretty quiet and not as well maintained. I ran some more and made it to the north end of the island and the Inwood Hill Park at 10:30AM.
Harlem

Inwood Hill Park is the last remaining natural forest in Manhattan. And it shows. The narrow paths are not made for running, but it is a great place for a hike. And only half an hour from downtown Manhattan.

Inwood Hill Park
Out of the park and back on the west side. I started running again and got into a narrow trail by the train tracks. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a dead end. Well, I am not sure actually. The trail ended with an exit to the tracks. Running there would require me to be a bit too close to the trains for my comfort. So, I backtracked again. This time about half an hour worth. A good alternative, had I found it, would have been the Hudson River Greenway, which takes you under the GWB.

I found myself on Broadway. The only avenue that traverses all of Manhattan North to South. I walked a few blocks on this avenue, passed by the George Washington Bridge, Columbia University and finally got to the beautiful Riverside Park around 12:30PM.
Brooklyn Bridge

After the Riverside Park you get back among the crowds. This being a beautiful day everyone was out, enjoying the sunshine in the Park alongside West Side Highway. It was 3PM when I passed the Battery Park City, the south end of the island and said hi to Lady Liberty.

I finally got back home around 5PM, passing under the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges and by the UN. The total distance was a bit over 34 miles and it took me slightly over 9 hours. If it wasn't so hot and if I were a better navigator, this would have been a perfect day. Still though, pretty good adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment