The official name of
the race is Get In Gear 10K. It started as a 10K, 35 years ago. Over
the years a 2K, 5K and finally three years ago a half marathon was added to the
portfolio. All the races are run the same morning and share a lot of the course.
2K was the first to go at 8AM this year, followed by the co-start of the 10K
and half-marathon an hour later and finally 20 minutes later the 5K.
If you look at the previous years' pictures you will see that Get In Gear tends to be a rainy race. It was rainy when I ran the 5K in 2010 and it was rainy this year. Not to mention the chilly temps and strong winds. Fortunately, the winds died down right before the start and it wasn't that cold after all (40s).
The half marathon course goes north on the West bank of the Mississippi River through lovely suburbs of Minneapolis, goes across a bridge to the East bank and gives you a look of the St. Paul suburbs while traveling back south. Around mile 5 the 10K and half marathon races split and for me this was the toughest moment in the race.
I was aiming for a 2hour finish. From the map the biggest hill seemed to be right at mile 3, I had climbed it many times back when I lived in Minneapolis. So, I planned a slowish 9:15 start and hoped to close the distance in the flat second half. In the first two miles I was really good at sticking to my pace, but after climbing the big hill, I fell into the flow of the speeding 10K'ers, who outnumber the half marathoners. When the split happens at mile 5, you suddenly go from a crowded, exhilarating race, to a lonely Sunday morning run.
While I was trying regain my rhythm, I was surprised to find hills ahead of me in the presumed flat second half. That was very demoralizing, especially considering this was an out and back section and I would be traveling the hills back. You also exit the beautiful suburbs and go on a highway, open to wind. It was tough to keep going.
I stayed on pace until around mile 10, but the elements also started to take their toll and I started to feel tired all around. I scrapped my 2 hour goal, just concentrated on finishing and came home at 2:02:47.
In general I was pleased with my speed, but I obviously lacked the endurance. I should probably start to concentrate on my long runs after this point.
Minnesota and the Minnesotans were very pleasant as always. There were cheer groups all around the course despite gloomy weather; 3 aid stations, 2 of which you passed by twice, so 5 in total. Mile 8 and 10 stops also had gels.
If you don't mind a bit of cold, I highly recommend Get In Gear as a destination race. And who knows, maybe you will get lucky and it won't rain!
(It will!)
While I was trying regain my rhythm, I was surprised to find hills ahead of me in the presumed flat second half. That was very demoralizing, especially considering this was an out and back section and I would be traveling the hills back. You also exit the beautiful suburbs and go on a highway, open to wind. It was tough to keep going.
I stayed on pace until around mile 10, but the elements also started to take their toll and I started to feel tired all around. I scrapped my 2 hour goal, just concentrated on finishing and came home at 2:02:47.
In general I was pleased with my speed, but I obviously lacked the endurance. I should probably start to concentrate on my long runs after this point.
Minnesota and the Minnesotans were very pleasant as always. There were cheer groups all around the course despite gloomy weather; 3 aid stations, 2 of which you passed by twice, so 5 in total. Mile 8 and 10 stops also had gels.
If you don't mind a bit of cold, I highly recommend Get In Gear as a destination race. And who knows, maybe you will get lucky and it won't rain!
(It will!)

No comments:
Post a Comment