Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fueling

Another Saturday, another great long run with my buddy. We covered about 19 miles and at the end of it I didn't feel nearly as depleted as last week.

We had great weather in NYC this weekend. It was an almost chilly 62 at the start. Also, my Garmin was off, because it was running out of battery (I guess I should have charged it after last week's three hour run). So, I never turned it on and was blissfully ignorant to our time and pace.

Still I think the key to success on this run was my fueling strategy, which I named: "I am bored, so I am going to eat another gel now!"

Going out for the run, I was determined about one thing: I wasn't going to bonk! So, I took some gels with me. 8 to be exact. In my pockets, in my belt, everywhere! I had never tried taking this many gels before. Not even when I ran the 60K. In case that wasn't enough, I also took about half a quart of Gatorade. I ate a gel about every half hour (remember, no watch) before I felt hungry and I don't think I have ever seen my legs this happy on a long run. So, long story short, fuel as long as your digestive tract doesn't complain! Also, even if you don't think you will eat them, take some extra gels. That way you won't worry about finishing your stock too early in the run.

Getting this long run done was an amazing confidence booster heading into the races. I have the NYC Marathon Tune-Up in the Park next week. My plan is to start slow and pickup the pace based on feeling as the race progresses. My Garmin will be charged and on my arm, but I might remove the time from the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment