Tuesday, November 8, 2011

NYC Marathon

I am stuck.

Check this out:

43rd NYC Marathon was run last Sunday.

I want to say so much, yet this is exactly what I have so far. Not that I haven't done my homework. I have read everything on the subject; from "A Race Like No Other" to elite athlete bios. I went to the opening ceremony on Friday, watched the start on TV, saw the pro's live on the 1st Ave, cheered on the mid-packers in the Park, even got back to 1st Ave and waved at the stragglers at the end of the day. Yet I cannot find the right way to describe the NYC Marathon.

If I may put on my scientist's hat for a second here. What happens first Sunday of every November, I think, is a nuclear fusion reaction. A reaction, where a unique city (NY) and a unique event (the marathon) combine to create something brand new. Something so new, indeed, that neither your MetroCard nor your non-NYC finisher medals are enough to decipher.

The last two years, I experienced the marathon as a spectator. If all goes according to the plan. next year I will get to run it. My summary will have to wait until then.

Congratulations to all the finishers and organizers!


No comments:

Post a Comment