Sunday, October 25, 2009

Hidden Corei7's in Dell Online Shop

I have been looking for a new laptop for a while. I have been patient and waited for the release of Windows 7. In the meantime Intel released the Core i7 series CPUs for the mobile market. I figured, why not get one of those. After all, a laptop serves you at least for 4-5 years. So, I don't mind paying a little bit extra at the time of buying.

Being a long time Dell customer (and I have been quite happy with the computers I used so far) I headed to their website to customize my new computer. Shortly after the release of the Core i7's, there was a link on the laptops home page, which took you to a special Core i7 page with three Studio and one Alienware series computers. I didn't buy that day, because Windows 7 wasn't released yet and I would have to install it myself.

When I went back last week, the link for Core i7's was gone. I figured I could just select i7 as my processor in the laptop selection wizard thingy and it would list the Studio's. But guess what, when you select Core i7, $1500 Alienware MX monster is the only computer shown and you are not allowed to customize Inspiron's or Studio's with a Core i7 CPU. The only way to get back to Core i7 page is to search the website. Thankfully, it is the first search result, so you don't have to sift through pages of product manuals.

I wonder why Dell is doing this. Are they trying to sell all the Core 2's first? Will they start giving Core i7 deals once all the Core 2's are gone? When would that be exactly? How much longer do I need to wait? Should I buy a netbook? A desktop and a big monitor? Just reformat my old Inspiron to make it go faster? A lot of questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment