Saturday, May 30, 2009

Long Runs

I have been reading a few websites (Runner's World, Cool Running, Active.com etc.) and all the plans emphasize one thing: "Long Runs". In order to complete for 26.2 miles, you have to run a long distance (10 to 20 miles) in a slow tempo twice or three times a month.

As I started with 7 miles and gradually increased to 12, I have noticed that long runs are also a very efficient way to induce "Runner's High". One problem is, you get addicted.

So, after my 12 mile run 2 weeks ago, I was supposed to go up to 14 last week, I couldn't. I started running that Saturday morning, but my legs just didn't want to move and finally they gave around 7.5 miles. I was frustrated, but figured it was probably due to bad sleep and my legs were tired from the 12-miler and the speedwork I did during the week.

I rested Sunday and Monday I went out again to try again. Nope! This time I had to stop at 5.5miles (of course when I stop at 5.5 miles I am near the Ford Parkway, which is, well, about 5 miles from my home!).

I wasn't going to run on Tuesday. I wanted to take the day off, rest and play with my Sansa Clip, which just arrived, but around 6pm I felt the urge to run (addiction!). So, out I went and ran 9.5 miles, even finished it with a sprint (9:09 min/mile average, which was my best for this distance). Next day, I had an allowence of about 5 miles (I don't want to increase my mileage too quickly, to avoid injury.) and the weather was once again perfect. So, I ended up doing a tempo run (5 miles, 8:18 min/mile).

I was confident before I started my Saturday long run today. It wasn't too warm, I felt good and 14 miles seemed doable. My legs, on the other hand, didn't think so and they started to talk back after about a mile. My legs were hurting so much below the knee, I couldn't push it further than
2 miles and I started walking back, all sad, defeated. Everyone else was running and they all looked happy. After a mile of walking back, I said what the hell, turned and started running. It wasn't a great run, I stopped after 8 miles, but it was better than last week and my weekly mileage finally hit 30 miles.

I am taking tomorrow off again. Good luck to those running the Minneapolis Marathon tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment