Thursday, December 12, 2013

Who needs a subway...

Believe it or not, last time I had a commute longer than a mile, the year was 1996 and I was a junior high student. I went to a boarding school in high school, lived on campus in college, lived near campus in grad school both in Texas and Minnesota and finally lived across the street from work during my postdoc years at The Rockefeller University.

I recently changed jobs and also moved to a different neighborhood in NYC, which means I now have a commute. This might be disappointing news to normal people; I, on the other hand, am excited, because now I get to walk/run to work! 

Of course I did some theoretical work first. According to Google Maps, my commute is 4.4 miles. Due to the geography of the city it also includes a bridge. I chose Queensboro, because that is the closest and the most walkable one. It is also part of the Marathon route.

Tonight I did my first try. I covered the distance in about 70 minutes. Including traffic lights and such. With the subway it takes 40-45 minutes. So, my net loss is about 30 minutes. Considering I wouldn’t do anything useful in that time period at home, I am not even losing those minutes.

Walking to or from work is easy, since it doesn’t require tech clothing and sweating is limited. My goal is to introduce some runs as I ease into the new season. I am currently looking for a cheap gym where I can take a shower and change before heading to work. The leading candidate so far is the NYC Recreation Centers

As I said, I am looking forward to coming months and commuting to work on foot more often. I will share tips as I figure out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment