![]() |
| View from the Killington Peak |
The trail crosses Highway 4 near Killington. I decided to walk south one day and north the second. As I said Killington is primarily a ski resort and things are quiet over the summer, but some stores are open and most importantly, The Bus (yep, that is what it is called) that runs between the nearby city of Rutland, resort hotels in Killington and the trailhead is operational. So, you don't need a car to get to the trail from your hotel.
| White blazes show you the trail |
You might think, how am I going to follow the trail. How do I know that I am not going in the wrong direction? To be honest, I was worried about that too. My outdoor skills are low to none. My girlfriend, in fact, was sure that I would get lost and die (she always worries about that though). As it turns out, my worries were mostly unnecessary. First of all, the trail doesn't have too many branches. If you step in the wrong direction, you would notice it from the terrain. Also, the Appalachian Trail is marked by white blazes on trees at regular intervals. So, as long as you see the blazes, you are going the right way. Using the blazes (some side trails have blue or yellow blazes) and a map I got from the Killington Chamber of Commerce, I was able to easily determine my direction.
| Kent Pond |
My hike on the north direction was shorter and easier. The only complicating factor was the rain, since the rocks got slippery, but even the rain was enjoyable in the woods! This one took me to the Kent Pond, pictured on the right here.
If you are a seasoned hiking enthusiast or even a novice like myself, Killington is a great place to visit. People are friendly and they are ready to help the hikers, point you in the right direction, offer you food.
On a personal note, the AT is on my bucket list now. I don't think I can find 4-5 months of free time and the money, but I can dream, can't I!

No comments:
Post a Comment