- The Olympic Marathon is live on NBC. They cut away for mini-updates every now and then, but show most of it. Good job NBC.
- Great names in the group. I wish a well-trained Paula Radcliffe could race here too.
- I am cheering for 42 year old Dita. She won't win (about two minutes back around 10 miles), but it is great to see her compete and possibly set a master's record (a quick search online shows that Ludmila Petrova has a 2:25:43 at age 40 in NY).
- I don't understand how Ethiopia chose their runners. They listed all the times and sent the lowest scoring ones to London. So, Firehiwot Dado, who won NY last year didn't make it! Yes, the ladies running today are good too, but wouldn't it be a better idea to put someone who actually beat Keitany, against Keitany? And for that matter, NY's own Buzunesh Deba could have been included too.
- Mary Keitany by the way is holding herself back very well. None of that early blistering pace stuff. In fact, she grabbed a water bottle for her teammate Kiplagat a few minutes ago.
- Check out the stride of the third Kenyan, Jeptoo. Looks like all over the place. I guess they know what they are saying when they tell you to just run the way that come natural.
- Americans looking good so far. Unfortunately Desi Davila had to drop out though. After Rupp's medal yesterday, American distance running might be back on the rise.
- Shobukova out too.
- I almost forgot Kim Smith! There she is with the lead group.
- Right after the half marathon mark the Kenyan's and the Ethiopian's are moving away. And no one is trying to cover the move. Except for a motorcycle who got in between the runners.
- Flanagan, Portuguese Augusto and a Chinese runner, Zhu caught up with the lead pack.
- Zhu Xiaolin's PB is a rather modest 2:23, but she was fourth in Beijing. So, she should not be taken lightly. And as I say this she falls back. Also, one of the Ethiopian's, Mergia, couldn't keep up.
- Look how comfortable those Kenyans and Ethiopians are. I wonder if they practice that. After all your poker face is almost as important as your legs.
- A Russian runner, Petrova, is 9 seconds behind the leaders. She has a 2:25 and one win in the LA Marathon.
- Petrova only 6 seconds back now. She is closing the gap. Another Ethiopian, Dibaba seems to be struggling. Petrova caught her.
- Noo. NBC, you can't show ads now!!!
- A Kenyan down too (nope, she is back). Petrova-Arkhipova in the lead pack.
- I hope the head of the Ethiopian Athletics Association has learned his lesson. And on that note, I hope the IOC is reconsidering the "3 athletes per country" rule. Imagine how great this race (and the men's race next Sunday) would have been, if they had allowed everyone with a qualifying time.
- No, NBC, I don't really care to see Roger Federer walking into a building right now!
- London is pretty by the way.
- And while I was looking at that, they are dropping Edna Kiplagat too. I would say Petrova just doubled her appearance fee. I wonder if she is running a Fall marathon.
- What is amazing is that Keitany still hasn't made a move. I wonder if they are saving themselves for big city marathons that pay better.
- Interesting style from Petrova. She is running slightly to the side of the group, doesn't tuck in.
- Dita seems to be on 2:38 pace. No record there.
- Petrova seems to fall back and then catch up.
- Now Petrova is hiding behind three ladies in front of her. Could be resting for the final push. When will it come?
- I don't know how different this course is from the regular London Marathon course, but the finish time will be pretty high compared to London.
- Is Keitany falling back? Yes she is.
- After Zabolinskaya's two surprise bronze's in road biking, looks like Petrova will add another endurance medal.
- Gelana turned it on.
- Whaddya know. Gelana of Ethiopia with the gold, Jeptoo of Kenya with her slightly silly stride second and Petrova of Russia third. I wouldn't have guessed this list.
- Flanagan seems pretty tired. Goucher right behind her. They scored decent times.
- And it is time for me to go do my long run now.
Sunday, August 5, 2012
Women's Olympic Marathon - Updating
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment