Sunday, October 2, 2011

For Grete

We, the scientists, tend to lose the big picture when it comes to diseases. Mainly because we have to look at things at very fine detail everyday. So, even though I studied cancer for years, still read papers about it and know a lot about its inner workings, the horror of it really struck me when my aunt, who lived next door all my life, was diagnosed with breast cancer. I followed her suffer through the therapy and her family and my mom, her older sister and caregiver, suffer emotionally. She passed away a little over a year ago.

And a few months after her, Grete Waitz.

Bislett Stadion
When planning my 2011 schedule at the end of 2010, I put a check mark next to Grete's Great Gallop. I wanted to run this race, because like everyone who knows a bit about the history of the NYC Marathon, I am a big fan of the 9-time winner, Grete Waitz. I chuckle every time I hear how she ate too much the night before her first race and how she was determined not to do it ever again (the race that is, not overeating). I admire her quiet finishes while breaking world records and I get choked up every time I watch the iconic moment when her and a cancer-stricken Fred Lebow pass through the finish line by the Tavern On The Green.  

Maybe my dream of seeing Waitz, listening to her before the race, maybe even running on the same course did not come true, but her absence made the race even more significant. Saturday's 13.1 was for my aunt, for Grete and for Fred. 

The weather was not too bad Saturday morning, humidity was in the higher 90s, but it wasn't too hot, even chilly. I wasn't planning to go faster than 10:00-10:30, on the account of my legs still being somewhat tired after last weekend and the three hundred something feet vertical climb of the course, but I got caught up in the excitement and I tried to follow a faster friend (who, I found later was also trying to slow down). I wasn't short of breath, but my legs weren't thrilled about the idea, especially the part where they had to climb the Harlem Hill again. However, I noticed that I could actually continue to push them. To my surprise 9:15 pace became more manageable as the miles went by and I went through the finish line in 2:01:45 (35 seconds behind my friend whom I lost around mile 4. Almost caught up to her!). 

I know my legs are going to hate me for another week, but this is about a 9 minute PB compared to the Manhattan Half Marathon I ran in January (same course, colder weather) and very close to a 2:00 (well, according to my Garmin, I passed the official half marathon distance at 1:59:30, but I won't count that). So, I am very pleased with my time.

And to finish, I will leave you with Grete Waitz

No comments:

Post a Comment