Sunday, June 12, 2011

Knickerbocker Training Update

I am very proud of my 16-miler today. So, I felt like writing a report.

As I do most Sundays now, I got my coffee from Starbucks and walked to the Park. I started around 7am with 58F temp and 92% humidity. It didn't feel too bad, maybe because there was cloud cover. I checked my watch at around 1-mile (right after Cat Hill) and to my shock I was only making 11:55 pace. I knew I was taking it easy, but I felt like I was slacking. Still, I was committed to finish my run today without a walk, so I kept on pace. I started to take splits every two miles to get the current pace. I also took a sip of my sports drink and honey every two miles, even though I wasn't thirsty or hungry.

After a 23:26 first two miles, I continued with 23:03, 22:32, 22:05, 21:56, 21:52, 20:33 and 19:07.

The reason for my pride is the controlled increase in my pace. After the warm-up I was able to stay in the easy zone for quite a while and that precipitous drop in the last 4 miles was on purpose. After climbing the Cat Hill for the last time, I started to let go. There was a lot of bargaining on miles 15 and 16, on the hills of the West Side. Keeping on pace and overcoming mental walls will be the most important skills while running 60Ks.

What have we learned today?
Starting very slow is good.
Honey works nicely as fuel (although I have previously done a 16 miler without any carbs, so today's carbs may not have been necessary.)
Love the chilly weather.

The real test will be in a few weeks. I have done a few 16 milers, so I am not that scared of this distance. I start having problems in the 20 mile range. Fortunately, NYRR has marathon training group runs in the Park over the summer. On July 23rd, August 21st and a tune-up on September 25th. They will have aid (as in water and sports drinks. I don't know maybe also bagels?) and pace groups. The training runs (first two) cost $9 each and you are free to run as many miles as you like. The last is a more structured race, costs $18 and is a qualifier for the 9+1 program. So, if you are having problem doing long long runs like me, these might help.

No comments:

Post a Comment