Sunday, June 5, 2011

Fuel up with honey

I generally stay away from using energy gels. Not that I hate the taste. Unlike a lot of runners, I enjoyed most of the gels I tried so far (mostly free samples). My problem is the cost. My long runs regularly go over 2 hours. That, in addition to my size, means that I would need a few gels for every Sunday outing. More if I want to quickly carb load after my shorter runs. It would be great to save that money. 

A while ago I started experimenting with honey. I was hoping to get honey tubes like the ones on the picture, but I couldn't find them in my grocery store. So, I got myself an Ultimate Direction waist pack with a gel flask. Now I fill the flask with honey when I go out. The results in terms of fuel efficiency are not in yet, but I can tell you that honey sits pretty well in my stomach and it is less viscous than gel and thus eaten easier. I will update you on how honey affects my performance. 

Amazingly runner specific publications rarely discuss this. However, here are two links that praise honey as a running fuel: From the Runner's World UK and MadeToRun Website. There are also honey based gels, but of course that is a bit against my initial purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment