The horse-drawn carriages that tour around Central Park are not allowed to work when it is colder than 19 degrees. For the safety of the horses. So, if you wanted to take a tour this Saturday morning around 8, you wouldn't be able to, because it was 13 degrees and all the horsies were back home in their warm beds (or whatever you call where they sleep).
It was a different story for the human runners. About 5000 of these folks gathered in the Park for the first race in the NYRR Half Marathon series: a friendly two lap run around the Central Park.
The (in)famous Cat Hill and less famous, but steeper Great Hill make the Central Park pretty challenging. Especially if you have to climb them twice. However, the primary slowing factor today was still the cold and its effect on water and Gatorade at the aid stations. Most hydration I could grab was in slushie form and one cup I grabbed was solid ice.
All in all, it was a good start for the year. And NYRR, I think today's volunteers deserve two T-shirts! (which I loved by the way. I rarely wear my race shirts to work, but this one is definitely going to get some use)
No comments:
Post a Comment